Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Social Networking & Psychology


            Social Networking Sites are an extremely prominent form of communication in our generation.  A few examples of such sites are Facebook, Twitter, match.com, and classmates.com.   According to lecture, SNS’s account for 11% of all time spent online and people spend more time on these sites than on any other type of website.  We also learned in lecture that many people do not restrict their SNS information to anyone.  In fact, almost half of teens (45%) do not.   Social Networking Sites must meet three requirements, according to lecture.   You must be able to make a profile, communicate with others, and view the entire network.   In an online journal, Psychologists’ Attitudes and Ethical Concerns Regarding the Use of Social Networking Web Sites, concerns relating to the use of social networks in a professional sense are raised.  It mostly discusses how the revealing of too much personal information can affect therapeutic relationships. 
            In terms of a therapist to patient relationship, a certain amount of distance must be maintained in order for both parties to feel completely comfortable and for there to be a substantial amount of trust and credibility.  According to the journal, many unintentional factors can reveal things about a professional, such as their office décor, how they dress, and their personal appearance.  Although these are largely unavoidable, protecting personal information, such as the names of your family members, personal photographs, and current stressors is important.  Revealing this type of information, including financial circumstances and personal fantasies or dreams is almost never ethical or helpful when it comes to this type of situation.  The existence of personal websites also often provides conflict when it comes down to a psychologist having to choose between accepting or ignoring a friend request from a patient.  Many patients view their therapist as a friend after time goes by, but there is a line that should not be crossed. 
            The online journal also discusses a study consisting of 695 participants in the psychology field, which showed the vast amount of professionals using SNS’s.  77% of those surveyed maintained a social webpage and only 56% of them seriously considered the ramifications of what they put on them.  Although this was the case, 86% of them adjusted their privacy settings to limit who was able to see them.   Social Networking Sites are a very effective way to keeping in touch with distant friends and for making social connections, but the content of a person’s website should be considered in terms of where you are professionally.  Even if it is not a therapeutic-based client relationship, credibility can be jeopardized by what is linked to your name. 



Taylor, Laura; McMinn, Mark R.; Bufford, Rodger K.; Chang, Kelly B. T. “Psychologists’ attitudes and ethical concerns regarding the use of social networking web sites.” Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, v. 41 issue 2, 2010, p. 153-159.

7 comments:

  1. Nowadays people seem to put their whole lives on SNS's and don't think about their professional lives. It is very interesting how some are faced with the scenario of possibly being friends with a patient on Facebook. Should this be allowed? For me I don't think this is acceptable. I think it is crossing the line of professionalism. It is crazy though how many people do not change their privacy settings and allow almost everyone to see who they are! This can cause so many problems like theft and many creeps can find out important information about them. How do you think people will change this in the future or will they change?

    knabe.10@buckeyemail.osu.edu

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a big fan and avid user of SNSs, but I do agree that some people are way too careless when it comes to what they make public on their profile. I guess it is ultimately their choice to decide what to put out there and it isn’t our place to censor them, but I know I tend to stay more on the conservative side regarding what I share with others over SNSs. Therapist/patient relationships should not stretch this far either. As I stated above though, it is their choice. If they both agree to become friends via Facebook or MySpace and no conflicts arise then I suppose there is no problem with it. But at what point is that line of professionalism crossed?

    hazelbaker.28

    ReplyDelete
  3. The issue of what people display on their online profiles on Social Network Sites is certainly an interesting topic. On the one hand, you can benefit greatly from the sharing of information with friends on SNS through the discovery of shared interests. But also sharing the wrong information could prove to be very detrimental. Users of these sites need to measure the benefits with the costs to make sure that they are protecting themselves while still getting everything they can from the sites.

    Ditty.11

    ReplyDelete
  4. The 21st century began with the boom of social networking. Little did we know of the consequences of publicly displaying information on our social lives. We live in an age where potential employers will turn you down based on your Facebook page. Most College students have SMS profiles and enjoy displaying what they did over the weekend with pictures. A lot of these pictures involve alcohol, which could be harmful for college students looking for employment. I believe everyone should be concerned about their internet image and be careful about what they display about themselves. Recently I have been seeing a trend that involves people changing their name on Facebook so they can't be searched by employers. Whatever works to keep your image positive is fine with me. - Rivalsky.3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Facebook and other SSNs have developed into a key communication tool during the 21st century. SSNs offer a lot of freedom to post pictures and express your thoughts however you please. However, with great freedom comes great responsibility. Many people are unaware of the security settings on Facebook that can block people you aren’t friends with from seeing your profile. These users unknowingly invite stalkers and kidnappers into their lives by posting such personal information. In the case of the Therapist/patient relationship I think it would be best to not be friends on Facebook. There is a fine line between professionalism and friendship that should not be crossed.
    coffey.96

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like this blog because it discusses the importance of Social Networking privacy in comparison to your professional career. I agree with you 100% about it being okay to have a Facebook, but to keep the content at the appropriate level of openness depending on what career you are involved in. I know that I wouldn't think my therapist was as credible if I saw pictures of him or her drinking and partying with her friends on the weekend and posting lewd status's. Social Networking Sites ultimately are great for people to keep in touch, but if you don't monitor it, there could be information on there (whether voluntarily or involuntarily) that could tarnish your reputation in some form or another.
    - kalla.2

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that social networking sites bring people together and let you keep in touch with everyone that you want too. I do think people need to watch what they put on their own sites because people can be judged what is connected to them. Anything bad on their own site could make them look bad when they are really not which could be the difference in getting a job or not. I think it will be very interesting what new social networking sites people will create or technologies that will be based of social networking with all different kinds of people.

    Pulsinelli.3

    ReplyDelete